Re: WUPI/WUPY?

    The WUPY-FM tower still stands behind what was an
old gas station off of Route 1 in Peabody.
(Surprisingly) it was in Stereo on 105.3 Mc/s (one of
the first Boston area stations to switch to Stereo in
1962).  The station was a minimum Class B operation as
evidenced with the 3,300 watt short stick signal.  But
this was the early 1960's and a stand alone FM signal
just could not cut it.
    The demise of WUPY did have domino effect on the
Boston FM allocations especially with suburban FM'er
WKOX-FM/105.7 (now WROR-FM) in Framingham.  Like WUPY,
WKOX-FM was a minimum Class B facility.  WKOX-FM
eventually was able to power up to 50,000 watts (ERP)
from the WKOX/1190 tower on Mt. Wayte Ave in
Framingham.  Like WUPY, WKOX-FM was an early convert
to FM Stereo in 1963.  The WKOX-FM programming was
mainly Symphonic for the affluent western suburbs like
Wellesley, Weston etc.......
    In 1971, WKOX-FM (then WVBF, "The Electronic
Mama") became a "Boston station" with their new
Needham transmitter site.

-Peter Q.

--- Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com> wrote:
> At 07:19 PM 3/27/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >WUPY operated from probably about 1961 to 1963 on
> 105.3. It was licensed to
> >Lynn with transmitter atop a hill somewhere in
> Peabody or Saugus. WUPY was
> >somewhat more powerful than the Class A FMs of the
> day, which were limited
> >to (I believe) 1 kW at 250' HAAT. I seem to
> remember facilities something
> >like 3.3 kW at 270' (less than half the power of
> most of today's class As).
> >The owner was a _real_ whack job. Harvey
> <something>.
>
> His name was Harvey Sheldon, and yes WUPY was indeed
>  an FM licensed to
> Lynn.  It was listed in the Radio/TV Annual in 1961,
> 1962 and 1963, but in
> 1964 the only Lynn station is WLYN-FM at 101.7.

=====
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
                           "Scanning the bands since 1967"