Re: wire recorders

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Roger Kirk wrote:

> How did they work?  Poorly.  Splicing wire was a Boy
> Scout's dream - a knot.  Since the wire could rotate, alignment

I thought that's how you spliced recording wire.  But I wasn't sure.
Wouldn't a knot on a steel wire murder the recording/playback head? Not to
mention getting snagged in the rest of the mechanism?

The Germans, during the 2nd World Wide Slaughter came up with a huge
rack-mounted reel-to-reel machine that recorded on a steel band.  They
were used in radio stations...

--
Sven Franklyn Weil            "The needs of the many outweigh
<sven@gordsven.com>                      the needs of the few