Re: WUPI/WUPY?

Hi Dan:
     WKOX-FM (105.7) actually signed-on in 1959 as the
FM counterpart of WKOX.  It was designed to be
operated as a suburban operation, not really aimed
toward the bigger Boston market. In fact, their
antenna was actually side mounted AWAY from Boston!
(Snob factor.... :)).
     WVCA-FM (104.9) signed-on as an 800 watt Class A
in 1964 as, of all things, a Top-40 Rock and Roll
station using an old WCRB transmitter.  WVCA-FM came
into being as result of a compromise with the FCC.
Simon Geller applied for 1410 AM in Gloucester as did
Jack Sullivan for 1410 in Brockton.  In order to speed
things up, after a long battle, a compromise was
reached with Sullivan getting 1410 (WOKW) in 1961 and
Simon was given 104.9 FM as a consolation prize. (What
a prize indeed!).  Simon however soon realized that an
FM stand-alone in 1964 would not be a money maker.  In
fact he ditched the Top-40 format in 1967 and began
playing public domain Symphonic music to avoid the
ASCAP and BMI fees.  The rest was history.

Cheers,

-Pete

=====
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)