From:    dan.strassberg@att.net
To:      Sven Franklyn Weil <sven@gordsven.com>
Subject: Re: RE:FMand AM legal IDs(was:   WJPZ-FM Syracuse)
Date:    Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:41:14 +0000

Not _quite_! WJZ could not become WABC until WABC became
WCBS. And, in fact, to avoid confusion, WJZ remained WJZ
for at least two years after WABC became WCBS. But the
original WABC's call-sign flip took place _decades_
after CBS started--not, as the posting says, _when_ CBS
started. The change of WEAF to WNBC and WABC to WCBS
took place on the same day--and it was after then end of
World War II. My guess is maybe 1949. Someone will
supply the correct dates for this and for WJZ's flip.

Remember that until 1943, both WJZ and WEAF were owned
by NBC, which was wholly owned by RCA. WEAF was the Red
Network flagship and WJZ was the Blue Network flagship.
In '43 the FCC ruled out duopolies and also ruled out
the ownership of two networks by one company. RCA
retained WEAF and the Red Network, which took the NBC
name. WJZ and the Blue Network were sold, and for
several years before adopting the American Broadcasting
Company name, the Blue Network was called just the Blue
Network. The corporate name was The Blue Network Company.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Ron Bello wrote:
>

> > Some history please.
> >
> > >both the WABC that is now WCBS and the second WABC, which is still
> > >WABC
>

> The station at 77 on the dial was once WJZ.  It changed to WABC.
>
> The station at 88 on the dial was once WABC (not related to the current
> ABC). It changed to WCBS when the Columbia B'casting System went online
> and the station was turned into the network's flagship.
>
> The original WABC stood for Atlantic B'casting, I THINK (not sure).
>
> --
> Sven Franklyn Weil            "The needs of the many outweigh
> <sven@gordsven.com>                      the needs of the few
> <http://www.gordsven.com/sven>                   or the one."
>                                                      -- Surak

Get the award winning ISP, AT&T WorldNet Service
http://download.att.net/webtag