Re: RE:FMand AM legal IDs(was: WJPZ-FM Syracuse)

Dan Strassberg wrote:
>  I believe that KABL (then owned by the famed Gordon McLendon) even got
> in trouble for "KABL Oakland, in the air everywhere in San Francisco."
> The idea then (remember this was in
>the 60s; the rules are much different now; reading today's rules illuminates
>_nothing_ about what happened then) was that the legal ID was not in any way
>supposed to mention the name of a community in the market whose population
>was greater than that of the COL, because listeners might construe that
>mention as indicating that the station was licensed to the larger city..

Hey, at least they got the calls & COL in the correct order....so many
stations back then couldn't even manage that...I've heard airchecks of WKBW
from as late as 1965 where they ID'ed as "from Buffalo N.Y. this is WKBW
1520 on your dial" or somthing along those lines.   The worst case I can
recall hearing was when I was living in the Seattle area in the mid
70s.  There was KZAM AM-FM in Bellevue which ID'ed as "KZAM & FM
Bellevue".  Not even close!