Re: Re: Made-up callsigns (was: WBZ-TV News on WSBK...)

Yes it happened between WBZ and WBZA; the effect was quite noticeable along
the Mass Turnpike as you approached Springfield from the east. However, WBZ
and WBZA were always pretty close in frequency (off by, I'd say, usually
less than 1 Hz), and the close frequencies were no accident. Vairous
approaches were used at different times, such as dividing down the Boston
frequency and sending the resulting signal (a continuous audio-frequency
tone) to Springfield, where it was multiplied back up to 1030. That approach
is not a perfect solution, however. It probably locks together the average
frequencies perfectly, but short-term differences are definitely possible.
Moroever, even if it were possbile to perfectly lock the frequency and phase
at all times, standing waves in the area between the transmitters would
cause huge swings in signal strength as you moved between the two.

Years ago, I think that WLLH also used technological approaches to keep its
two TXs close in frequency, but I believe that the effort eventually became
too onerous and the current approach involves someone (I doubt whether Mega
actually employs a chief engineer) crossing his or her fingers--if the
designated person even remembers to do that. I believe that the current
Lowell TX first went on the air before Mega bought the station(s). For sure,
there was a CP to move the Lowell TX before Mega took over. My impression is
that the current approach (or maybe the CE carried a rabbit's foot) has been
the only approach used since the new Lowell TX went on the air.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367