Made-up callsigns

hmglaz@webtv.net wrote:

"I was attending Syracuse University when WJPZ was founded... The callsign
was thought up by the station manager and used with no authority at all. The
station later
went Part 15, on the same frequency. Several years later, it became a fully
licensed FM station, at 89.1 (IIRC) and got the same call it had been using
since its carrier-current inception. I wonder if any other stations can make
the same claim...."

---
I also attended Syracuse, and worked at WJPZ, although well after its
inception.  As the story goes, (told every year at the alumni banquet), WJPZ
got its call letters because they wanted something that sounded like WABC.
And thus it was born.  I know lots of other stations have stories like this.
In Chicago, WGN in Chicago stands for "World's Greatest Newspaper" (the
Chicago Tribune Co. owns it), the former WMAQ, (an all-news station) stood
for "We Must Ask Questions".  Any other local interesting stories about where
call letters came from?

Ryan