RE: CCU Interested in Xpanded Band

As I understand it, the rule is supposedly that, within
five years of the date when the X-Band station receives
program test authority, the licensee must turn in either
the X-Band license or the original license. However, I
don't think anybody ever seriously believed that that
would happen and, indeed, a few X-Band stations are no
longer co-owned with the stations that originally
applied for the X-Band facilities.

In its infinite wisdom, the FCC apparently never thought
of that possibility. Nor, it seems, did the Commission
ever recognize the complications that could arise from
its approval of transfers of X-Band stations or the
associated standard-band stations without the
simultaneous transfer to the same owner of the other
station in the pair.

The first X-Band station, WJDM-EB (now WWRU), has been
on the air for well over five years (my guess is that
it's coming up on seven years). As far as I know, WWRU
is no longer co-owned with WJDM and has been granted a
CP (possibly already on the air) for 10 kW-N DA-N. I
will be very surprised if the FCC suddenly decides to
require the owners of X-Band stations to take either
their X-Band stations or their original stations dark.

I don't know who owned 930 in Dover when the X-Band
application was filed, but unless the company had good
reason to believe that it could sell the 930 transmitter
site for a bundle of cash, I suspect the X-Band
application was filed with the expectation that both
stations would be allowed remain on the air. Later on,
the owners (old or new) decided that building the 1700
CP didn't make much sense. But it will be a whole new
ballgame if the CP can be moved to Medford. (The COL
would probably have to be Malden; WXKS-FM is licensed to
Medford.)
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205