Re: 'bos Custom Radio Service

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:03:51 -0500 (EST) hmglaz@webtv.net (Howard Glazer)
writes:

> Now, can someone please explain why all these fees will be
> retroactive
> to 1998? Did broadcasters and Webcasters stream their programming
> for
> years while knowing that (a) copyright law was unclear, and (b)
> they'd
> be liable for thousands and thousands of dollars for past streaming
> if
> the copyright panel didn't see things their way? Why would anyone
> take
> that kind of gamble, especially knowing the clout of the musical
> entertainment industry in Washington?
>
> Howard

Why it is rectroactive I can only speculate, I do know that during my
final year at CBS the company tried to negotiate into the AFTRA contract
that all webcasts of the station would be included in the job description
and therefor uncompensated.  I don't recall how that issue was settled
but I do know that even though the then CBS stations were not webcasting
the company was making provisions and the announcers were not buying into
their services being used for free.  Ironically my last year with CBS was
1998.
df