Re: History of 1570AM Beverly

I don't think that WMLO was close to being the first
station whose calls reflected its format. For example,
in the late 50s, WHOT Campbell (Youngstown), OH's calls
suggested its Top-40 format. Interestingly, WHOT began
life on 1570, then moved to 1330 with a technically
complex operation (500W-D/1 kW-N from dual sites with 6
towers days; 5 towers nights). A few years ago, the WHOT
calls (and ownership) moved to the legacy 1390 dial
position that had been occupied for many decades by
WFMJ. I believe that WHOT now runs 10 kW-D/5 kW-N on
1390. But 1330 lives on in the Youngstown/Warren (PA)
market; I think 1330 there is now a religious station.

I imagine that others will suggest format-related calls
that date back even further and were probably a lot
closer to home.

Come to think of it, what about WMMM Westport CT? MMM
stood (stands?) for Much More Music.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205