Re: News Story

At 08:09 AM 2/16/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>How much would it cost in electricity to keep a
>station lioke that on the air per month?  The towqn I
>am from has no truely local station that caters to the
>needs of the town.  The one station licensed to the
>town has been termed "The ownwers personal Jukebox".
>Several associates of mine and I ran a daytime only AM
>station for several months doing a rock format but it
>wasn't making much money and the cost of running a
>several kilowatt Tx for 16 hours a day was enormous...
>
>Another question...  Can LPFM's be directional?

No, they can't.  It was detrimined that it would be too encouraging to put
LPFM's where they really didn't fit, and also engineering a directional FM
is a lot tougher than an omni, and LPFM is supposed to be more non-techie
friendly.

I don't agree with anything I just said, but that was the reasoning I was
given at last year's IBS (www.ibsradio.org) conference in NYC.

To answer your original question, they're supposed to be 100 watts, so it's
a lightbulb :-)  Realistically I would imagine it costs little more than a
regular business with a lot of electrical equipment does.  Or a small- to
mid-sized dot-com (with lots of computers, each with a 300W power
supply).   You CAN get really nailed on heating costs if your heat is
electric, though.   Definitely go for oil or gas if at all possible.

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
12 Walnut St. / Waltham, MA / 02453