Re: contract question

 Donna Halper wrote:

> I realise that WBZ Radio has given up/lost its weekend sports talk show
> "Calling All Sports" and Norm Rescha and crew can now be heard on FM Talk
> 96.9.  But I was puzzled to hear Steve Burton on his show as a regular,
and
> I believe Bob Lobel is on there too.  I thought Steve and Bob are under
> contract to WBZ (and to CBS/Infinity); and as such, wouldn't they be
> forbidden to work at a competitor?

    Friday's Boston Herald had an article by Dean Johnson about the battle
for listeners and personalities between Boston's two all aports stations,
WEEI and WWZN. The article mentions that WBZ Radio sports reporters Steve
Burton and Steve DeOssie are regular guests on WWZN's only local show to
date, Sean McDonough's daily afternoon show from 3 to 7 PM, and that they
have been mentioned as candidates under consideration for hosting a 10 AM to
12 Noon daily show on WWZN. DeOssie is also after DeOssie for a hosting gig
as well, according to the Herald.

Could it be they are not under contract to WBZ, they may be working as
free-lancers? Steve Burton thus appears on 3 different stations in Boston, I
don't think anyone under contract could get away with that, unless there is
a provision in the contract for guest appearances? Hmmmm......

Mark Watson