RE: NFL Nixes

At 12:58 PM 2/10/2002 -0500, Hakim Madjid wrote:
>Donna Halper writes:
> >but I don't understand why WBCN doesn't retain the rights to its own
> >programming.  I think the NFL is totally wrong on this one.

Uh...doesn't the NFL owe royalty payments to all the talent involved with
such games each time they are broadcast?  That would include the
teams/players (their contracts with the teams do include provisions for
appearances on TV, endorsements of products (whether specific or simply a
general "we'll let you do it") etc etc.   I believe there are a LOT of
people (not just the teams) who get paid every time one of these games airs
somewhere on any media format.

With something like the Superbowl, I'd imagine those payments must be
steep...so the NFL is not being greedy as rebroadcasting the game is not
"free" to them.

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
12 Walnut St. / Waltham, MA / 02453