RE: Clear Channel possible investigation

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Hakim Madjid wrote:

> I wouldn't hold my breath for a Bush-Adminstration Justice Department
> investigation of Clear Channel to go anywhere. Keep in mind they recently
> punted on Microsoft.

Well let's put it under this perspective.....was it or was it not Bill
Clinton's administration in power when the laws were changed that even
allowed this to happen? Hell AT&T was broken up, it is my firm beleive
that Clear Channel should be as well. This Concord Media Group bs drives
me batty.....

> One also must keep in mind the statements FCC chairman Michael Powell has
> been making all along since this appointment. He's bascially, pro
> Clear-Channel-style consolidation. Powell has been saying 'the more the
> better', if I understand him right.

Personally the two biggest issues, which basically rule down to one basic
issue that they should consider- unfair coipetition.

My biggest problem is that a radio corperation owner are the ones
controlling the former SFX entertainment group, a concert promotion
service should NOT be assiciated with a company with an interest in radio
as far as I am coincerned, this is not only a disservice to the local
community, but it is very unfair for stations who might never be able to
get tickets to give away to a Clear Channel run concert just for the sole
purpose of that they are competing with a Clear Channel radio station.
Luckily in Bangor, Clear Channel has not cut WKIT off yet, most likely
because WKIT is kicking their stations ass in the ratings and they know
they need to advertise on WKIT to get the full audience. "The Fox" had a
very weak book this time around, and they know that they would be making a
big mistake to not advertise on the other rock station.

I could say more but I choose not to because I don't want to get Clear
Channel too upset at me, I have no clue who is reading this list from the
business end of Clear Channel..........so I am gonna keep my mouth shut
about some things. :)

Jeremy