Re: NFL Nixes

Donna wrote:
>>I can sort of understand the league's stance about the
WEEI re-broadcast-- WEEI is a network affiliate and
couldn't originally air the game because it was being
aired on a competitor-- WBCN.  But banning WBCN from
airing its own regular call of the game puzzles me...
don't they own the rights to their own call on their
own station?<<

most sporting events, even minor league baseball/hockey,
broadcast carry the disclaimer about the event being
broadcast with the permission of (league) and being the
property of (league/station) use of the descriptions or
events, or rebroadcasts of the game... without the
permission of the (league/commissioner, etc) as well as
the station...

so that would seem to cover the nix'ing of the
rebroadcast of even the WBCN call.  yet i wonder: to
what end would football say "no?"  i'm puzzled as to the
motivation or thoughts that might have pushed the NFL to
say "no, you can't" to two different stations, both of
whom had working, enforceable league agreements during
the season (BCN with Pats/NFL, EEI with WW1/NFL).

does this situation present a case where football might
be cast in an unflattering or demeaning light?  would it
denegrate the game?  seems to me that if the frenzy
continued to be fed, more benefit would befall the NFL
than any harm whatsoever.  for the ten people who've not
picked up their officially NFL licensed Pats
Championship gear, hearing the game again (or for the
first time) might push them to their nearest retailer.
not to mention getting those "on the fence" about Pats
season tix packages for the new CMGI field "off the
fence..."

- -Chuck Igo (reminding you that, upon further review,
the game stands: Patriots 20  Rams 17.)