Re: NFL Nixes

Hakim wrote:
>It looks like the NFL has nixed plans for the proposed WEEI and WBCN
>re-broadcasts of the Super Bowl.

Bill Griffith wrote the short piece in the Globe.  In explaining the
policy, he said, "When the NFL grants the rights to broadcast games, it
never includes any provisions allowing rebroadcasts.  WBCN was going to air
the call by Patriots broadcasters Gil Santos and Gino Cappelletti, along
with U2's halftime show, from the station's archives. WEEI was set up to
give Boston its first chance to hear the national Westwood One/CBS call by
Howard David and Boomer Esiason..."

The ban will be a major source of annoyance for WEEI and WBCN, both of
which promo'd the re-airing extensively.  I can sort of understand the
league's stance about the WEEI re-broadcast-- WEEI is a network affiliate
and couldn't originally air the game because it was being aired on a
competitor-- WBCN.  But banning WBCN from airing its own regular call of
the game puzzles me... don't they own the rights to their own call on their
own station?