Re: WROR (was Re: WZLX)

on 2/9/02 2:34 PM, Ron Bello at rbello@BelloAssoc.com wrote:

> WROR transmits a RDS signal with the message:
> "Classic Rck"  (their spelling)

Yes, I've seen that too. They just changed it to that last year, I think it
used to be "Adult Rock", or something like that.

("Classic Rck", with that spelling, is what fits in the "window", and is
probably what corresponds to the format scan feature in the receiver).

That's probably mostly so that people with RDS (especially people who are
new to town) who use the RDS feature to scan for a "Classic Rock" format
will have their receivers automatically stop on WROR, especially since
CBS/Infinity doesn't seem to use RDS and their radios won't stop on WZLX,
and it is essentially the format demographic they seem to be aiming for.

That feature is probably worth the slight possibility of ratings confusion
with WZLX for them to have more people's tuners land on their station.

Saying "Classic" as a slogan on-air probably wouldn't gain significantly
more listeners and has much more potential to cause ratings confusion with
'ZLX that the display on the RDS.

Eli