RE: ratings

On 22 Jan 2002 at 1:07, Aaron 'Bishop' Read wrote:

> Yes, since they are officially a BU department their budget is
> *handled* by BU...employees get checks from BU and BU benefits, etc.
> But money from WBUR doesn't go to fund other BU departments and
> ventures.   I'm not sure it can, legally, as a non-profit institution.
>  Even if it is legal then I still stand by my statement

If WBUR is a BU department, it is not a non-profit institution, it is a
department of a non-profit institution (BU).  As such, there's nothing
illegal about any operating surplus belonging to BU.  If WBUR is a
separate non-profit corporation, I still don't see why its operating
surplus couldn't go to BU.

Many people totally misunderstand the concept of a nonprofit
organization.  It's a bit of a misnomer, in that a nonprofit organization
is perfectly entitled to make a profit, in the sense of an operating
surplus.  The difference is what happens to the profit.  A nonprofit
organization does not have stockholders who get the profit in the form of
dividends.  A nonprofit organization retains its profit or donates it to
causes and organizations in accordance with its purposes.  I don't know
the organizational structure of WBUR, but it's perfectly possible for it
to be a nonprofit corporation, with BU or a committee of BU trustees as
the only corporate members and its operating surplus going to BU.

I must say, I always assumed WBUR was a cash cow for BU.  Otherwise, I
can't understand why it was changed from being a lab for the School of
Public Communications.