Re: Some WBUR history

Well I'll be damned, this is very weird.   According to the office of
admissions' website, Mr. Ross is correct:
http://www.bu.edu/admissions/stulife/life/housing/residenc.html

But I distinctly remember seeing a building plaque inside Warren Towers
that said "1976"...and some of the old "cartoon-info-drawings" of the BU
campus mention Warren Towers as being built in 1976 as well.   I remember
it because I, like most of my graduating class, was born in 1976, so the
joke was that our dorm was as old as we were.

I double-checked, there aren't any dorms listed as being built in 1976, nor
any major dorms acquired during that time.  In fact BU neither built nor
acquired any major residences during the 1970's or 1980's except for the
one at 1019 Commonwealth Ave I believe, and even then I think that might've
actually become a BU dorm in 1990.   The only exception I could name is
Hamilton House, which looks like it was built in the same timeframe at West
Campus & Warren Towers, guessing at the architecture style, but no actual
date for it's construction is given.

Go figure.
- Aaron

At 01:21 AM 1/23/2002 -0500, A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>On 22 Jan 2002 at 2:39, Aaron 'Bishop' Read wrote:
>
> > My mistake, by "tower" I meant the "radio tower" on top of the "BU LAW
> > tower building".   The radio tower was built in 1975-1976 because Warren
> > Towers (the 18-story, 1600-student tri-towered dorm next door to the
> > College of Communication/COM - then School of Public Communication/SPC)
> > was built then.
>
>Wrong again.  Warren Towers existed when I was at BU in the late 60s.  In
>those days, it didn't have its name, it was just 700 Commonwealth Avenue,
>and was generally called "700."
>
>Which means that either WBUR's transmission tower was moved to the top of
>the Law Tower earlier than 1976 or it really did suffer a null in that
>direction.  That wouldn't surprise me at all, since it's not at all
>uncommon at BU for one hand not to know or care what the other is doing.
>My observation of BU when I was there was that it wasn't really a
>university but a group of independent colleges sharing the same campus.

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
12 Walnut St. / Waltham, MA / 02453