Re: ratings

>Yea, no doubt the public stations need the underwriting dollar. I think the
>main objection was and is that the underwriting announcements sound more and
>more like ads on commercial radio. For instance, just tune in 'BUR these
>days, and listen to an underwriting spot - nowadays, underwriters get
>mention of things such as their commercial slogans, and  web sites, for
>instance. Sounds a lot like regular commercial radio to me.

The key differentiator is what is known as a "call to action" (i.e., "Go
out and buy Brand X today!").  Commercials can have a call to action;
underwriting announcements cannot.

The larger non-comms - the 'BURs and 'GBHs - can afford to employ or
retain people whose sole purpose is to work on the language of underwriting
announcements.  Obviously, the companies want the announcements to sound
as much like commercials as possible.  And yes, the FCC does allow slogans
and web sites and what-not to be mentioned - as long as they don't contain
a call to action.

The fact remains, though, that the FCC still does fine non-comms if an
underwriting announcement (or even another announcement in the middle of
a program that isn't underwriting) contains what in their judgement at
least is a call to action.  IMO, the stations usually fined are the
"little guys", who can't afford the professional wordsmiths and thus
end up with announcements that veer over the line into a call to action.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu