Re: Oldies, contest?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Kirk" <rogerkirk@ttlc.net>
To: "Dave Faneuf" <tklaundry@juno.com>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: Oldies, contest?

> Oldies 103.3 notes the following are ineligible to "participate" or win:
> >Employees of Infinity, their affiliated advertising agencies,
> participating
> >sponsors/promotional partners, other radio stations in the metropolitan
> >areas of the participating stations and members of their immediate
> families...
>
> I don't remember any station restricting employees of a competing
> station
> from winning before.

The generic rules for all contests that Saga uses for all its Portland
stations includes a similar prohibition, and has for years.

> Is that legal?  On what grounds?

You're asking the wrong question.  A better question is: Why wouldn't it be
legal?  A private company can make any rules that they would like for a
contest, unless there is a law that limits their ability to make such rules.
I can't think of any law that would prohibit a company from keeping their
competitors from participating in a contest.  It seems like a pretty
reasonable restriction to me.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine