Re: Oldies, contest?

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. Jenest" <chomerj@yahoo.com>
To: "Dan Billings" <dib9@gwi.net>;
<boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>; "Aaron 'Bishop' Read"
<aread@speakeasy.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: Oldies, contest?

> CC was fined $80,000 in April 2000 in Florida for being
> deceptive with their contests. In Florida they MUST follow
> rules such as:
>
> . If stations broadcast an interview with a winner, they
> "must disclose the city/state where winner resides," he
> says.
>
> . Stations cannot edit "the voice of an out-of-state winner
> with the voice of a local radio personality to make it
> sound as if the winner was local," he says.

Glad to see that the State of Florida has so few problems that they can
worry about designing the rules for radio station contests.  I think if a
station regularly broadcasts contest rules that disclose that the contest is
nationally, that should be enough.  I would have to research the issue, but
at first glance, the regulations might also be open to constitutional or
federal preemption challenge.  Does the FCC have rules governing station
contests?

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine