Re: WODS jingles, songs-in-a-row

On 9 Jan 2002 at 13:25, anastasi@javanet.com wrote:

> 98.5 was for a brief time WRKO-FM and was automated.  In fact, there was a
> robot voice that said "This is ARKO, your automated robot...."  It was the
> same time that 106.7 was WBZ-FM and also had an automated voice that would
> say "have another hit from the radio station," an obvious reference to the
> drug usage of the time. >

98.5 was WRKO-FM long before it was automated.  It used to simulcast the
programming of WNAC (AM).  I remember it being WRKO-FM, with a separate
automated recorded ID as early as December 1958, when I got my first FM
radio.  Others insist it became WRKO-FM later, but I'm quite certain of
what I heard, and I know when I got my first FM radio.  WRKO-FM became
automated as ARKO part of the time in order to comply with the FCC's
separate programming mandate in the mid-1960s.  The success of ARKO is
supposed to be what prompted the station owners to flip WNAC to WRKO and
top-40 programming.

When WRKO-FM was ARKO, WBZ-FM was still automated classical.  It didn't
change to hit music until around 1971 or 72, by which time 98.5 had been
WROR for several years.

I believe WROR began as "Hit Parade 68" in 1968.  The jingle changed each
year on 1 January to become "Hit Parade 69", etc.  I'm not quite sure
when they changed to oldies, but when they didn they had a new jingle,
with the same melody, that went "Solid Gold Rock and Roll."