Re: when oldies stations drop the 50s...

on 1/9/02 3:20 PM, anastasi@javanet.com at anastasi@javanet.com wrote:

>> --- Eli Polonsky <elipolo@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> By Ral Donner (1961)?
>>
> I can't believe Eli and Bob don't know this.  You're both thinking of Joni
> Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi": "Don't it always seem to go That you don't
> know what you've got till it's gone They take paradise and put up a parking
> lot...."

Of course I remember "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell (as well as the 1970
pop hit cover version by The Neighborhood), but the exact title "You Don't
Know What You've Got Until You Lose It" was a hit for the late
Elvis-soundalike vocalist Ral Donner in 1961.

We occasionally played it at the old 1150 AM WMEX, and WODS used to
occasionally play it when they were still playing real oldies.

> The sad thing is that you guys have radio jobs and I don't.  (sigh)

I barely call two :60 sec. weather/promo/ID breaks an hour during the BBC in
the middle of the night when I'm falling asleep a radio job!

Eli Polonsky