Re: Fadeout during today's LTAR

It was briefly mentioned by the engineer at the beginning of the show that
there were problems with the tape. There were no variations in signal
strength readings on my receiver, but the tape sounded like garbage through
most of the show.

The hissing you were hearing was tape hiss, not static from a weak signal.
The compression in the airchain was attempting to bring the audio level of
the muffled, muddy tape up to spec, and most all it could bring up was tape
hiss because of the malfunctioning recording.

Eli Polonsky