RE: UPS vs. NStar (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 21:06:00 +0000
From: Chuckigo@att.net
To: Sven Franklyn Weil <sven@gordsven.com>
Subject: RE: UPS vs. NStar

Sven asked:
>> Chuck, shouldn't the entire computer be plugged into
the UPS, not just the
> hard drive? I'm not much of a computer user, but it
seems logical to me
> that it would be more effective to plug in the actual
computer AND hard
> drive instead of the monitor, into the UPS.<<

and being as much a computer user as the rest of us, my
use of the word "hard drive" was meant to indicate "the
computer."  my pc here at home, and the big ol' MAC my
buddy uses has two primary power cords associated with
it: the power cord from the "box" that contains the
actual guts of the computer, by which "guts"
includes "hard drive," and the power cord for the
monitor.  unlike my home pc, my buddy's MAC does not
have a printer associated with it, as it a dedicated,
super-duper, digital studio.  so to actually run that
computer, one plugs in the power cord from the back of
the "box" that contains the guts, and then to see what
the machine is doing, one would plug in the power cord
from the monitor.  so, again: whereas the hard drive is
contained within the usually off-white box that one
would call "the computer," the "computer's" power cord
and the cord from the monitor are plugged into the UPS,
leaving the UPS to ONLY worry about providing enough
back-up power to safely shut down the computer.  now, if
your computers come with power cords for every little
thing... oh well.  nothin' i can do about that.  i mean,
my pc does not have a separate power cord for the hard
drive.  yes, my pc has a separate power cord for the
little speakers on the side of the monitor, but i'm
being very specific to the UPS at my buddy's studio.  as
others have pointed out: by minimizing the potential
power draw on the back-up power system, one would hope
to have a better chance of successfully shutting down
the computer before losing everything prior to the last
system save.  and again to reiterate:  the UPS on which
my buddy spent big bucks was professionally installed
(see previous note about separate electrical dedicated
circuit/outlet installed to accomodate the UPS/Computer
tandem) and then did not work.  the power went out, and
so went his MAC with many hours of work.

- -Chuck Igo