Re: Tom Hennessey?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Igo" <Chuckigo@worldnet.att.net>
To: "SteveOrdinetz" <steveord@wavewizard.com>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 11:03 AM
Subject: RE: Tom Hennessey?

>    i've yet to see a power-backup unit function as advertised.

> and just about two weeks ago, the Saga building was hit by a
> series of "flickers" that kicked on the station's generator, but the third
> time within a twenty-minute period was too much for the units to handle.

Chuck's right on both these points.  I am on the Board of my local water
district in a town where the power literally flickers once or twice every
week.  We have a UPS on some of our equipment and it works pretty well, but
if we have several flickers over a short period it doesn't work.

The set-up at 420 Western Avenue is pretty good.  They have a generator and
UPS on everything.  I have been in the building when the power has died and
the generator has kicked in and everything continued to run without any
problems.  I have also been there when a series of quick outages caused
problems.  Nothing's flawless.

Last summer, we had a lightning storm with several strikes nearby.  The
power flickered but everything continued to work, except somehow the on-air
monitor got knocked off frequency and we thought we were off the air when we
were not.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine