Re: boston-radio-interest-digest V4 #528

Mr. Faneuf remembered:

> There was a song that used to get some decent airplay way back when and
> the only person that I ever met that even heard of it was Austin of
> Boston.  The song was called
> "The Wind" and it was performed by "Circus Maximus".

Add me to the list of those who have heard "The Wind."  In fact, I
bought the "Circus Maximus" album upon which it appears after hearing
the song played on WBCN.  Looking through my LPs, I see a few other
items added to the collection because of WBCN airplay some 30 years ago
but unlikely to be heard on WZLX, WROR, or WODS today.  There's
"Pepper's Powwow" by Jim Pepper featuring "Witchitai-To."  And
"Emergency Ward!" by Nina Simone with her "My Sweet Lord/Today Is a
Killer" medley.  And a Blue Thumb LP of old W.C. Fields recordings
featuring "The
Temperance Lecture"--I recall laughing my butt off one New Year's
morning when that was played on Mattress Matinee.

I'm just noticing something these have in common--"The Wind": 8:07;
"Witchitai-To": 7:52; "My Sweet Lord/Today Is a Killer": 18:29; "The
Temperance Lecture": more than 10 minutes.  I was still a
few years away from being in the biz back then, but apparently I already
recognized the value of looooong tracks (for the DJ, if not the
listener).