Re: Boston Phoenix Article About WBUR

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 08:02:04 -0800 (PST) "Bob Nelson...WMWM"
> What if commercial TV/radio ran the same way?

     The point is public radio (as I am slowly learning) is a whole
different animal than commerical radio and TV and I know you have heard
it a million times but it remains true that about half the funding comes
from those beg-a-thons.

> "This is Tom Brokaw with NBC Nightly News. A suicide
> bomber strikes in Jerusalem-- but first, we need
> to raise $1,000,000 by 7 pm. If you give now, we'll
> send you our attractive NBC News tote bag.

The other point I would like to make is that WBUR (I can't speak to
anyone else) will interrupt fundraising if something major breaks,  The
suicide bombings in Jerusalem occured late in the afternoon our time, BBC
News Hour had it just before 5, NPR News had it as well as Weekend All
Things Considered at 5 and we made a decision to go back to the BBC for
further coverage at 6 pre-empting Wait Wait and Cartalk

df