Re: News Story

Brian mistakenly pondered about the sporting life in
Maine:
>>Is there that much of a market for sports talk in
Maine?  I mean, there's no
professional sports teams in the state.  Just an
innocent question!<<

well, actually, Brian, we do have professional sports in
Maine.  our Portland Pirates are a professional sports
franchise, as are our Portland SeaDogs.  sure, they're
farm/feeder system teams, but they get paid for what
they do, nonetheless.
and, surprisingly, since the latter part of the 1900's,
Maine has actually had not only electricity, but the
capability to send AND receive both sound and video
through the magic of broadcast.  that was slightly after
the running-water thing we all experienced!  (honey,
gonna turn that two-seater into a shed for the mower,
now!)  and for the better part of two and a half
decades, Mainers have enjoyed, all right, not enjoyed,
been able to pay just as much money as all of you in the
lower 47 do for Cable and Satellite delivery services of
the aforementioned broadcasts, especially those of the
visual persuasion.  the radio versions of events that
happen far, far away have been with us for quite some
time.  there are people in Maine who are capable of
stringing multi-syllabic words together to form coherent
sentences in regards to talking sports.  however, those
few don't usually get on with Eddie Andelman, who,
working side-by-side with a bona fide Main-ah, Dale
Arnold, has no patience for those of us who reside in
the cast-off portion of Massachusetts.  Dale, by the
way, got his extremely big break by becoming the voice
of the-then Maine Mariners (AHL Hockey).  the Mariners
franchise flipped from Philadelphia (Flyers) to New
Jersey (Devils).  and in one unique call-up, they took
the radio guy instead of a defenseman.  go figure.
  sorry to have rambled on so, but... no, wait a minute:
i'm not sorry.  once again, another misconception about
life north of the Hampton tolls shot to hell.
   not only do we have a nice history with professional
sports franchises in Maine, we still do have pros
pulling down a paycheck for doing what they love in
Maine.  and we were doing five-nights-a-week sports talk
in Biddeford, Maine (although not profitably) back when
most sports talk shows were relegated to the weekends.
Maine sports fans are enlightened, and, i know it's not
saying much, "smahtah" than Dan Duquette.
   to answer your "innocent question:"  yeah, there is a
market for AT LEAST that many sports talk stations in
Maine.  additionally, the ones we DO have lack coverage
of other aspects of what one might consider sport; there
are no stations that truly represent the auto racing
world or even the sportsmen (hunting/fishing).  (we
actually have real auto racing up this way, and, believe
it not, people from "away" like to bring their beer and,
um, oh yeah, fishing poles and guns up here for the
weekend, too.)  and sadly, the "all golf" format just
hasn't caught on up here on the radio dials.  even on FM.
  previously, there have been suggestions on "what JJ
should" with his stations.  he's on the right track with
the sports thing.  if he'd like to truly lock-up a very
exclusive, money spending audience, he needs to find a
host capable of carrying a three hour "sportsman" show
as well as a local auto racing expert.  he would grab
some numbers.  he would make a difference.  he would
pull himself out that ever-enlarging money-sucking black
hole.

- -Chuck Igo