Broadcast speech regulation

<<On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:07:30 -0500, "Dan Billings" <dib9@gwi.net> said:

> The Court stopped short of saying that in the CBS case.  The opinion allows
> Congress tp pass a law requiring stations to accept certain ads and they did
> just that in the case of candidates for federal office.  Congress could not
> pass such a law in the case of publishers.

In recent years, the Supremes have shown rather more tenderness
towards the free-speech rights of broadcasters, and I suspect that
precedents such as /Pacifica/ might well be open to reconsideration
today.  (I attended a lecture by Nadine Strossen yesterday, and hoped
to ask what her position is on this subject, but did not get the
opportunity.)

-GAWollman