From: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org]On Behalf Of Mark
Laurence
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 1:41 AM
To: Joseph Pappalardo
Cc: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: Hub TV in Western Mass....

On Wednesday, November 28, 2001, at 11:02  PM, Joseph Pappalardo wrote:

> May be relevant to what was recently discussed.
> Cut/paste this URL if necessary...
>
> Thoughts?

> http://www.businesstoday.com/business/business/cabl11282001.htm

It would make the discussion easier if you had a sentence or two
describing the issues in the article.

A western Mass. lawmaker wants to force local cable companies to carry
Boston TV stations, because he says the local stations don't air enough
news to protect the safety of his constituents.  Specifically they
didn't carry a speech by Acting Gov. Swift in the beginning of October.

I think he has a valid complaint to take to the TV station management
about their lack of coverage, but it would be a huge overkill in
regulation to force all the cable companies to carry rival network
stations from Boston.  And it would be counterproductive in the long
run, because it would hurt the economics of the stations that are really
most likely to serve his constituents.  He wouldn't be very happy if the
loss of viewers caused local stations to cut their news budgets, because
those Boston TV stations will cover his area's local news approximately
zero times per year.

Mark
mlaurence@mindspring.com