Re: WXKS-AM flips to X-MAS??

Well yes and no. Apparently, in an effort to capture
more affiliates--even if only temporarily--WXKS's
satellite music provider, Westwood I's adult standards
AM Only, has flipped to Christmas music. As far as I can
tell, the jocks are the same nearly comatose bunch that
have been on AM Only for the last decade. It seems,
though, that the "Your Original Hits Station"
positioners, which used to be part of the birdfeed as
well as part of the local IDs, are, for the moment, only
on the local IDs.

My take is that, after New Years, AM Only (and WXKS (AM)
will revert to their former music policy. In the
meantime, stations that are running Christmas music in
anticipation of a format change after New Years don't
have to rely on tapes; if they have access to a dish and
a suitable receiver, they can get the Christmas
programming off the bird. Westwood I has found a way to
give its 2001 revenues a quick shot in the arm. I'll bet
that AM Only didn't lose a single regular affiliate
because of this opportunisitic endeavor and I'll bet it
picked up a couple of dozen stations for the five or six-
week Tnanksgiving-to-New Years period.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205