RE: digital tv

<<On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:18:11 +0000 (/etc/localtime), Jeremy Mixer <mixer@zoso.net> said:

> I was under the impression that the "digital channels" that digital cable
> brought you were all broadcasting digitally, not analog.

Some of them are, but most of them are still using traditional analog
production techniques and simply use digital compression to squeeze
more space out of a single satellite transponder/cable channel.  In
many cases, the signal you get is actually worse than a clean
``studio-quality'' analog signal, because they're compressed all to
hell.

-GAWollman