WKBR-FM 95.7, and the STL

     WKBR-FM (now WZID) used a microwave STL link to
the mountain. I recall seeing the microwave dish at
the studios of 'KBR with the call-sign WKBR-FM (95.7)
in the middle of it, while riding through the Queen
City in 1967 (right off the highway).  WKBR-FM was
also used a weather feed for some other co-owned
stations through out New Hampshire (WTSL, WKBK and
others). This was a common occurance in those early
days of FM.           WNAC-FM/98.5 (now WBMX) in
Boston was also used as a "feeder" at times for other
Yankee Network affiliates, to avoid the cost of phone
lines.  'KBR, contrary to rumor, never used the AM
signal as a feeder to the FM.  It might have had it as
a backup.  But, I doubt it was ever used.
     When I helped Bob Bittner reactivate WKBR/1250 in
the early nineties, I saw some documentation about
WKBR-FM dating back to the early 60's. It included
info about the STL unit.

73,

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts

--- "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com> wrote:
> On 22 Nov 2001 at 9:58, SteveOrdinetz wrote:
>
> > Curiously, how was the audio on WKBR-FM?  I ask
> because someone told me
> > once that in the 50s/early 60s they just used a
> radio tuned to 1250 to
> > feed the FM and, especially at night when they had
> a tighter pattern the
> > signal was none too clear due to a fairly tight
> null in the direction of
> > Uncanoonic Mt, but this sounds a bit fishy to me.
> I suspect that if
> > there's any truth to the story, it may have been
> an emergency hookup
> > because of STL failure.  I never heard WKBR before
> 1964, and it didn't
> > sound like an off-air AM feed to me (besides, they
> did some split
> > programming).
>
> Seems to me that their signal had the clarity of an
> FM signal, but I was using a small FM table
> radio and may not have been able to tell.  I don't
> remember any separate FM programming, but
> I'm not sure I listened very much after 1963, when I
> went away to college.

>  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.
>          617.367.0468
>   15 Court Square, Suite 210