WKBR-FM (was Re: internet spots)

 A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>I actually had an FM radion in 1958, and I listened to WKBR-FM regularly.
>They had a Top 40 format, and on Saturday afternoon played the previous
year's hits.
>After WCOP discontinued the Top 40 format, WKBR-FM was the only Top 40
station around with
>music in the late evening.

Curiously, how was the audio on WKBR-FM?  I ask because someone told me
once that in the 50s/early 60s they just used a radio tuned to 1250 to feed
the FM and, especially at night when they had a tighter pattern the signal
was none too clear due to a fairly tight null in the direction of
Uncanoonic Mt, but this sounds a bit fishy to me.  I suspect that if
there's any truth to the story, it may have been an emergency hookup
because of STL failure.  I never heard WKBR before 1964, and it didn't
sound like an off-air AM feed to me (besides, they did some split
programming).