Re: What's JJ up to?

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Dan Billings wrote:

> My assessment is based on what I hear on the air.  I don't have to know the
> owner to have an opinion on the quality of the programming on his radio
> stations.  If JJ's goal is to provide an alternative to corporate radio,
> other than WRED, he's not doing a very good job of it.  I think if someone
> you didn't know personally was running those stations and providing the same
> programming, you wouldn't be so impressed.  I may have offer one size
> assessments, but you have a double standard: one standard for people you
> like, another for everyone else.

I sorta have to agree with Dan here-  I do not know JJ, however I do have
a lot of respect for him. But you gotta admit- the guy has a corperate
mind.

Granted the same WBLM that everyone originally remembered was owned by JJ
and Bob Fuller. These were the same two people that owned it as it became
a very corperate sounding radio station that alienated many of it's
original fans, by playing only the big classic rock songs. It, like any
radio station, only plays a small selection of it's library. The station
does not sound too much different now that Citadel has had it for two
years then it did in the 4-5 years before Citadel bought it in the first
place.

It is a mainstream classic rock radio station. They usually avoid the
"deeper cuts" so to speak. It was Fuller-Jeffery who changed the format of
"Portland's Album Station" WCLZ which played a lot of music that NEVER
would get any airplay, to something that they hoped would give WMGX a run
for it's money, along with their swallowing up of Lori Vornaz (sp?). It
didn't work. Now Citidel is trying to make WCLZ what it once was....

I am not saying F/J did a bad job overall, the former F/J stations are the
strongest in Portland overall, so they obviously did something right.

Jeremy