Re: WGY _Supermarkets_

On 8 Nov 2001 at 15:09, dan.strassberg@att.net wrote:

> Donna and all: What can you tell me about the chain of
> food stores named the WGY Supermarkets or WGY Stores
> that existed throughout central New York and Vermont in
> the 30s, 40s, and 50s?

Interesting.  I never saw the supermarkets when I lived in the Albany area in the 1950s, but I do
remember seeing, in the kitchen of the school cafeteria, a large can of applesauce bearing the
brand name "WGY."  It also bore a stylized picture of a radio station labelled "WGY" with a tower
sending out signals.  I wondered why a radio station was putting out its own brand of applesauce.
This would seem to explain it.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
  15 Court Square, Suite 210                      lawyer@attorneyross.com