Re: WGY _Supermarkets_

> On 8 Nov 2001 at 15:09, dan.strassberg@att.net
> wrote:
>
> > Donna and all: What can you tell me about the
> chain of
> > food stores named the WGY Supermarkets or WGY
> Stores
> > that existed throughout central New York and
> Vermont in
> > the 30s, 40s, and 50s?

Well, I must admit that I wasn't even a twinkle in my
parent's eyes during the time period in which these
supermarkets existed (in fact, my mother and father
were both born during this time period).  Based on the
geographic area you mention where these stores
existed, that is the exact same area where I grew up
and my family has lived since at least the late 1800s,
and quite honestly, this is the first time I've ever
heard anything like this mentioned.  My grandfather,
quite the storyteller that he was, never mentioned
anything about them to me while he was alive, and out
of anyone else I've ever known this is still the first
time I've ever heard of these mentioned.  Let me ask
my grandmother about this the next time I talk to her
and see if she remembers anything about these markets.

                          Matt Osborne
                          Hyde Park, NY