Re: Was radio in '22, ahora Television Hispanico

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> I think the general expectation is that Telefutura will squeeze out
> affiliates of Telemundo and other even weaker Spanish-language
> networks from all but the largest Hispanic markets.

Wonderful. :P

Most of Univision's entertainment programming is done in Mexico and is
geared to largely Mexican audiences. Almost all of Univision's soap operas
are produced by "the evil" monster known as Televisa (the Mexican Radio/TV
giant).

Univsion produces and transmits its news shows and its popular
"Sabado Gigante" (Giant Saturday) variety show from Channel 23 in Miami.

Hell...even a lot of Univision's reporters and anchors are Mexican and a
lot of their human-interest stories use Mexican-Americans living in Los
Angeles and the Mid-West

I believe Univision and Televisa are co-owned. I do know Univision also
owns and runs cable channel Galavision.

I realize that Mexicans make up the majority of the Hispanic population
across the country, but in cities like New York, the population is largely
made up of Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Colombians, Ecuadoreans,
etc.  Telemundo does a better job of representing these other
nationalities.

Maybe I'm biased in favor of Telemundo, because Telemundo has been showing
lots of Colombian soap operas lately....but I've never liked
Univision....too Mexi-centric.  What about the rest of us?

Will Telefutura be similar to Univision? I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

--
Sven Franklyn Weil            "The needs of the many outweigh
<sven@gordsven.com>                      the needs of the few