Re: WBZ stereo?

My understanding is that WQEW switched off the Kahn
stereo at midnight on the last day that the FCC allowed
US stations to transmit in the Kahn format. Use of
PowerSide was legal after that date (and to my knowledge
is still legal), although I don't think WQEW has a lot
to gain from PowerSide. CBE may put a slightly stronger
signal into WQEW's nighttime service area than the
various 1570s do, but CBE's signal is not huge anywhere
along the east coast. And where CBE's skywave is solid,
WQEW's is not.

I was under the impression that sometime after WQEW
stopped broadcasting Kahn stereo, it began transmitting
c-QAM but never publicized the fact--perhaps because, in
the minds of most listeners, "stereo" equates with FM
and an AM station that advertises that it is
broadcasting in stereo utterly confuses its listeners.
They go looking for the signal on the FM band and give
up on the station when the signal is nowhere to be found
on FM.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205