RE: WBZ stereo?

WQEW has four towers all right but never uses more than
three at one time. The east tower is a spare, used for
10 kW ND operation when the other towers are being
painted or otherwise maintained. Originally the east
tower along with the two that are in line with it formed
the night array, which was used from local sunset in
Bakersfield CA to New York sunrise. The day array (used
from New York sunrise to Bakersfield sunset) consisted
of the center tower of the night array plus the south
tower.

Seven or eight years ago, WQEW completely reconfigured
its night array to use the west and center towers of the
old night array plus the south tower, which had
previously been used only by day. No change was made to
the day array, which still uses the same two towers that
had always been used by day.

The day pattern is a broad modified cardioid with
generous null fill-in to the south. The null to the
south is filled to the equivalent of 10 kW ND over about
150 degrees. The points at which the daytime field
strength is equivalent to 50 kW ND are pretty much due
east and west. The daytime field strength is greater
than 50 kW ND over almost 180 degrees to the north.

The signal doesn't reach places like Springfield by day
because of the combination of terrible soil conductuvuty
on Long Island and the fact that the high frequency
(1560) is not conducive to long-distance transmission of
groundwave signals. In fact, the signal is poor enough
in central CT that it was possible to construct a 5 kW-D
station on first-adjacent 1550 in Bloomfield CT, north
of Hartford.

As you can probably imagine from the asymmetrical
arrangement of the night towers, the night pattern is
asymmetrical. It's a kind of bent figure eight with the
more northerly lobe centered to the northeast and the
southerly lobe centered more or less due south.

The old night pattern was symmetrical about the
southwest-to-northeast line of the three towers in the
old night array. It was pretty much a rotated version of
the day pattern stretched along the line of the towers
in the night array. The new night pattern is a lot less
pretty looking than the old one, but having an on-site
auxiliary antenna that is used strictly for auxiliary
purposes has to outweigh the aesthetics.

Still, the great mystery to me is why WQEW remained in
Long Island City at all when it increased to 50 kW in
the late 50s or early 60s. The soil conductivity on Long
Island is abysmal as WQEW's lousy signal readily
demonstrates. 40 years ago, a move to the Jersey
Meadowlands, which have the best soil conductivity in
any major metropolitan area along the east coast, was
eminently feasible.

WQEW's patterns (old and new) are a compromise. The
major population center (Manhattan, Brooklyn, and most
of Queens) lies to the west of the site and after
Bakersfield sunset, WQEW is required to protect to the
west. A Meadowlands site would have put the region of
reduced radiation on the opposite side of the site (that
is the west side) from the major population center. And
the signal toward New York City would have been
delivered over an area of outstanding soil conductivity.
The move was a no brainer. I can't understand why it
didn't happen.

Now, at least while the 1530 station in Elizabeth NJ is
still on the air, a move to the Meadowlands is
impossible because of prohibited overlap of 25 mV/m
daytime contours. 1530 was granted and built an ex-Band
station (on 1660) and so, in theory, 1530 will be
required to go dark one day soon. But does anyone
_really_ believe that will happen? If it ever were to
happen, WQEW could likely find a home at one of the
existing Meadowlands AM sites. WBBR, three of whose four
towers are not too tall for 1560, seems like a good
candidate.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205