RE: Update on WCAT

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 Sven Franklyn Weil wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Peter Murray wrote:

> It does not make good business sense to
> simply take a station off the
> air because it's a little AM daytimer.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 Sven Franklyn Weil responded:

> Sure it does!  Think about it.  By shutting WCAT-AM
> down, they've
> effectively eliminated both an "unecessary" expense
> and a potential
> competitor.

If I may expand upon this thought a bit more, based on
my understanding of Citadel's Worcester cluster, it
might even make good business sense to Citadel to
either shut down WCAT-FM altogether or move it far
enough away from Worcester so they can apply to move
WWFX's transmitter as close to Worcester as possible
to give it a better signal in Worcester proper, the
area that Arbitron really focuses on (correct me if
I'm wrong, but doesn't WWFX have signal problems in
parts of Worcester?).  This creates the possibility of
better ratings for WWFX in that scenario, therefore
they can potentially charge more for advertising on
WWFX.  And if WCAT-FM really bills that poorly as far
as advertising sales, that would also make sense.  The
flip side to that is if WCAT-FM does bill decently,
then it would make better financial sense to just move
it somewhere else in that general vicinity or reduce
its power.
                          Matt Osborne
                          Hyde Park, NY