RE: Update on WCAT

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Peter Murray wrote:

> Matt (and the group)-
>
> I certainly hope that Citadel is smarter than that (operative word there is
> HOPE). It does not make good business sense to simply take a station off the
> air because it's a little AM daytimer. I'm sure they could find a jibguy who

Sure it does!  Think about it.  By shutting WCAT-AM down, they've
effectively eliminated both an "unecessary" expense and a potential
competitor. Had Citadel sold WCAT-AM, the buyer would have been yet
another competitor for the ad dollars in that market.

Considering that the FCC is not giving out daytime-only licenses anymore,
and considering the expense involved in placing a tower (not to mention
the zoning board nightmares, nimbys, etc.), Citadel has effectively
eliminated any threat of competition for ad dollars there.  By tearing
down the tower and putting something else up on that same site (which I'm
sure they're NOT going to sell), they've ensured that no-one will ever
apply for that spot on the dial in the future.