Re: Fwd: RE: I Just Got Back From Ferry Street in Salisbury, MA

An interesting question that would be nice to have
answered is whether WROL's self-supporting tower is one
of the two that WHDH used before it moved to Needham in
1947 or 1948. Before the move to Needham and increase to
50 kW DA-2, WHDH used to transmit with 5 kW DA-N from
what is now the WROL site on the Lynn Marsh Rd. I
suspect that WHDH was at the same site with a longwire
before adding night service in the early 40s.

The idea of a station directionalized to the east from a
site east of the COL may seem crazy. However, whoever
thought of it may have been crazy like a fox. Because of
the salt-water path to all of Boston from the Lynn Marsh
site, and the almost total lack of interference on 850
(which I think was 830 pre-NARBA) in those days, WHDH
must have had a very nice signal throughout the market--
even at night.

Granted, the increase to 50 kW and the 207-degree towers
must have produced an impressive increase in signal
strength in the western suburbs (especially in places
such as Lexington, which were right in the nighttime
null that protected KOA), but I'll bet that the signal
in almost all of Boston proper was as good or nearly as
good before the move as it was afterward.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205