RE: No Fox affilate for Bangor after all

<<On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 21:37:47 -0400, "Adam Rivers" <adamrivers@prodigy.net> said:

> So why don't we get WGBH or GBH Select out here? Down at my cousin's in
> Westerly, RI, they get WGBH and WGBH Select.. why dont we? I'm just
> wondering?~adam

Trim, Adam, trim!

To answer your question: you're too far away, and your cable system in
Chicopee is not required to carry signals it can't receive.  Even if
they could, there's no reason for them to do so -- it would merely
duplicate programming already carried of WGBY and WEDH.

Westerly probably gets WGBH and WGBX because they are older than WSBE
and the operator way back when decided to carry them.  Sometimes
things like this can get written into franchise agreements which gives
them a much longer life than they would ordinarily deserve.  Westerly
ought to be must-carry territory for WEDN, but of CPBI chooses not to
assert that right the cable company isn't required to carry it.

-GAWollman