Re: attacks on Afghanistan have begun

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Laurence" <mlaurence@mindspring.com>
To: "Dan Billings" <dib9@gwi.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>; "Donna Halper"
<dlh@donnahalper.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2001 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: attacks on Afghanistan have begun

> On Sunday, October 7, 2001, at 10:08  PM, Dan Billings wrote:
>
> > It's not like today's attacks were a surprise.

Mark responded:
> I think that's the key sentence when it comes to breaking format for war
> news.  Other than report on explosions, there wasn't a lot of live news
> to report.

I didn't mean to imply that every station needed to go with continuing
coverage.  My point was that every station should have had a procedure in
place for what they were going to do when the U.S. response came.  I do
think any station should have provided some coverage when the attack came
and some regular updates throughout the day.

As for voicetracking:  Oldies 100.9 and WPOR were voicetracked today, but
the personnel in the building were prepared to switch to continuing coverage
and the station had people like me on call to come in and be live when the
attacks came.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine