Re: Satellite radio

Hakim Madjid wrote:

>(snip)... The least expensive way install satellite radio in
>your car runs around $350. $250 for the hardware box  to adapt your existing
>car radio for the statellite radio service, and then an extra $100 for the
>satellite antenna. IMHO they're blowing it on this one - having the required
>antenna a $100 add - on.
>
>Then of course there's the $10 monthly subscription fee.
>
>As I said, I really wonder about all this, given the state of the economy -
>I don't think people will spend the money for such frills. But I could be
>wrong, and this could become *THE* Next Big Thing...

It's all in the marketing.

Maybe they will eventually take a cue from cell phone providers,
i.e. Sell a 2-3 year subscription and give heavy discounts on the receivers. Say a 3-year commitment @ $19.99/month(my current celluler plan) and you get a free satellite radio: Total Cost: $720. The total cost of the radio above with a 3-yr subscription @ $10/month would be $710.

The new receivers, whether they be car, portable, or home, must be as easy to buy and use as a cell phone. There will also have to be mechanism/discount for sharing the subscription, say between a home based receiver and the portable/car receiver, similar to discounts on multiple cable drops/converters in a household.

Tony Abruzzese                  e-mail: abruzzese@biochem.bumc.bu.edu
Network Administrator                         Biochemistry Department
              Boston University School of Medicine
Telephone:617.638.5092                               Fax:617.638.5339