Re: national v nationalist

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:40:23 -0400 Richard Chonak
<rac@gabriel.cambridge.ma.us> writes:

> Well, here's a data point from another source, the US Government.
> The
> CIA Factbook lists Puerto Rico as a country, and speaks of the
> nationality "Puerto Rican":
>
> http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/rq.html
>
> I'm starting to think that it is correct to refer to a "Puerto Rican
> national" in the news, although such nationals are US citizens.
>
> --RC

Using that line of thinking then I would be a "Massachusetts National",
and you can add Virginia and perhaps Nevada? to that list since those
states are actually "Commonwealths" and not States as in "The State of
New Hampshire".  I'm not going to criticize the CIA at this point,
however it would be nice to think that they know the difference between a
sovereign nation and a Commonwealth of the United States wouldn't you
agree?

DF