Re: Madonna calls for peace at Los Angeles concert

Paul writes:

> I think Mr Landry proves what I have always feared about this
e-mail group.
<snip> those that
> claim the mantle of 'tolerance' are in fact most laking in that
very
> atribute.

I've been a member of this listserv for quite a long time.  It's a
big deal.  I praise Garrett, my friend Scott and others for keeping
old BRI afloat!  As I just scanned the archives, I actually surprised
myself at posts that I made to this list that go way back.  That was
then and this is now.  Everything changed last Tuesday.  But not our
ability to choose how to interrelate and hang together.  Knock down
more buildings, snuff more lives and more things change but we can
still choose to keep it together.

I, myself, have already come clean that I made a regrettable remark
in the emergence of the crisis to the effect that "that man" as a
reference to the President was "Mr. President today, kid."  Although
I may need to believe this, I was wrong in not accepting the
viewpoint of another that perhaps had heightened my sense of
insecurity during a difficult time.  It's that very ability of us to
keep one another "in check" that sets us (keepers of the mic or
otherwise) apart from state sponsored speak.

Bill O'Neill